This guide applies to the following situations:
- Generally, the viewport performance and rendering performance is very good
- Interactive rendering works fine
- After stopping the interactive rendering (for example by pressing the "stop" button in the VFB), 3ds Max freezes for as long as 5 minutes
This issue seems to be caused by Windows Defender inspecting the files which are stored over the network, such as scene assets. The solution is to either:
- Add 3dsmax.exe to the Windows Defender exceptions list. See: [Link]
- Completely disable Windows Defender. See: [Link]
Note: this solution may put your computer at risk, so it is strongly advise to either keep Windows Defender enabled, or to use different antivirus software.
If you are having similar issues even after adding 3dsmax.exe to the exceptions and/or disabling Windows Defender, please contact us.